Thursday, August 12, 2010

Remembering Rene

Disclaimer: this is a sad post. Don't say I didn't warn you but it's necessary for me to write about this somewhere.

I lost a dear friend and former co-worker of mine. We all lost her. She was a true gift to the world. She was only 50 years old.

She passed away from cancer Sunday night. She had only been diagnosed a month ago or not even. Last night I went to her service. She was the Director of Student Leadership at Notre Dame. Our offices were right next door to each other.

The church was absolutely packed to over maximum capacity. All the seats were filled and people were standing all the back wall and the side walls half way up to the altar. It was incredible to see how many people loved and knew this woman, Rene.

She was actually my fourth grade P.E. teacher and then I remembered her instantly when she was hired at ND.

She would talk to you about anything and everything and always listen to stories. She had two amazing grandchildren through her stepdaughter that she just absolutely adored and was so proud of. She always asked about Tanner. She was the first person on campus I told about Roma dying when we returned from spring break. She was so sad about what had happened. For me unfortunately what has now happened in her life and death was way too eerily similar to Roma...I know losing a human being takes on an entire different experience than a pet but also I just know that both of them were way too young, died shockingly fast (like so fast I still can't process what has truly happened to Rene), and both of them were just amazing "creatures" human and canine, that were put on this earth and into my life for amazing reasons.

Okay well I'd like to keep writing more and I probably will but now my son needs me and I need to be with him. I am ever more grateful for his presence and Jeff's through this experience. We are truly blessed with the gift of new life that I get to be with every day...

2 comments:

  1. so sorry to hear about your friend. thinking of you and sending you lots of love!

    ReplyDelete